German Undergraduate Advisory Board
The German Undergraduate Advisory Board (GUAB) is comprised of a group of undergraduate students intent on fostering a sense of community among all students, majors and non-majors, interested in learning about German language, literature, culture, history and politics. By organizing casual, student-run events and creating opportunities for students to be involved, the GUAB hopes to enrich the process of learning about things German. The goal is to strengthen the connections between fellow German enthusiasts, to serve as a liaison between students and faculty, and to reach out to other schools and departments to inspire communication and collaboration.
The German Undergraduate Advisory Board also designed the t-shirts above to publicize and/or celebrate our department. They are clearly quite the hit with our students and alumni. Get yours today by contacting Kathy Leoni at 847-491-7249 or email@example.com - they are American Apparel's Unisex Fine Cotton Jersey Tee, come in medium, large, and extra-large, and are $15.
Sample GUAB Events
- A Stammtisch for German students and instructors to get together and socialize in a less formal environment;
- Quarterly Kaffeestunde with seasonal themes, organized together with Global McCormick;
- Grill parties with bratwurst and pretzels;
- Oktoberfest at the Rock Event—handing out pretzels, chocolates, t-shirts, mugs, and more;
- Co-sponsoring films with the Department of German;
- A trip to the Christkindlmarkt, Chicago's German Christmas market;
- Excursions to Chicago, including to the CSO and Lincoln Square;
- A German board-game evening;
- A German bake-night.