Language and Culture Awards
German Language And Culture Awards
These awards are for freshmen, sophomores, and juniors to encourage them to continue study the language and culture including studying abroad. The award is given out at the end of spring quarter. The awards are:
- The Award for Outstanding Achievement in First-Year German
- The Award for Outstanding Achievement in Second-Year German
Award Contest Guidelines
The contest has two phases. First, the teaching staff of first-year and second-year German will nominate eight students (for each) for these two awards based on:
- Excellence in the sequence throughout the year or during the quarters enrolled (A or A- average)
- Evidence of engagement in the department (substantial participation in and/or attendance at events)
Students who have been nominated for this award will be asked to submit the following:
- One representative work that he/she has produced during the year. The work submitted should have relevance to the study of German culture and language (for example a short essay, a project or a skit)
- One additional short piece of writing (in English) answering the following questions:
- Why is it important to you to learn a foreign language?
- How do you feel that learning German has enriched your life?
- What are your plans for the future that might include German?
With the submission material, students are asked to include a coversheet with the following:
- Student name, address, phone number, and e-mail address
- Information on the course of study: List your major(s) and your minor(s) including the year of study (Freshmen, Sophomore, Junior). Awards will be given out at the annual German Department Picnic in the spring.